Monday, January 25, 2010

Big Sister

I decided to take a break this morning and watch the news with a cup of tea. Big mistake. I have learned that when the kids are too quiet you need to check on them. This morning was different. They, all three, because Big Brother is home sick from school, were playing really well, laughing, running, and giggling all morning long. None of that really changed while I sat enjoying my tea.


It wasn't until Little Brother came into the TV room spinning a cup around the top of a stick like a top. This was Big Brother's cup from breakfast, and the last I remember, it was on the table half full of milk. Uh oh. My first thought was, "great, now your contaminated." My second was, "please, please, please tell me you drank it..." On the kitchen table was a puddle of milk. The cereal bowl had been emptied as well as the cup, and at first glance, some of it had to have been consumed because there just wasn't that much. I grabbed a towel and wet it down and walked into the spill zone.

At closer inspection, I noticed it wasn't just a spill, there was actually splatter. This means that not only did he pour it onto the table, he also enjoyed the play session he had with the sugary sweet mess. I wiped it all up, being careful not to step on the spill spots on the floor, and commenced with pseudo mopping the floor with the same towel. Anyone who has cleaned up a spill properly knows that it covers everything. So as I cleaned each of the legs on three of the chairs, I noticed the streaks running down the walls, and then the windows. Apparently he hadn't consumed as much of it as I thought because the walls were now works of art, only you could only see it if you held your head just right. So, I cleaned them up, what else was I to do. Here is the kicker...I had just wiped down and cleaned all the walls and baseboards and windows in that area yesterday. Go figure, it's like that when I mop too. I don't even get mad when the first beverage is spilled just hours after I have finished, just shake my head and clean it up.

I was getting the milk taken care of and Big Sister was helping. While my beautiful curly haired girl diligently wiped down the windows, I gave her a hard time about letting Little Brother do this, and letting me know next time if he makes a mess. That's when it happened. I looked closer at what we were cleaning. The previously spotless windows were actually blurry, and the milk on the floor really wasn't puddled, just kinda wet. Big Sister didn't tell me about the mess because she was in there cleaning it up for me. And considering a 3 year old's abilities, she did a really good job. I wasn't really mad at all of this, but realizing how thoughtful my daughter was, really made my day. I stopped everything and snatched her up, buried my face into her little neck and told her what a wonderful girl she is.

Big Sister
I can close my eyes and see you.
Long rings of curly hair.
Brown eyes that glisten like morning dew.
Your cheeks are soft as air.

Today your kindness touched my heart.
You're thoughtful, sweet, and bold.
Precious, to me, a work of art
So wonderful to behold.

2 comments:

  1. Awe! You made me cry... That is so sweet, it truly is amazing how children watch the adults that are around them and do the same things. Mia is so sweet - every action (well almost) is done out of love and a want to be just like mom..
    Thanks sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even thought of cleaning the chair legs and junk. *shrug* I guess that's why your house is always going to be neater than mine. Heh.

    I almost cried over this one... ALMOST! I'm not gonna let you get me!! Although I did catch myself with a little trickle. Damn you.

    ReplyDelete