Friday, January 22, 2010

Speak Rationally

I went to my friends house for a play date today.  The kids had a great time playing in the dirt, and I had a great time letting them.  I watched them dig for treasure, get the bad guys and bury each other for a couple of hours and didn't hear anyone complain.  Moments like that are priceless.  I find they happen more when I step out of the picture and let them just be kids.

The tranquility was disrupted when it was time to go.  When I announced it was time,  I was informed of my little girls dislike of the situation by her incessant whining.  God, I hate whining....no really, I HATE whining.  I spent way too much time teaching all three of my kids sign language when they were 6 months old so that I could avoid it.  Just tell me what you want.  I cannot and will not decipher your cryptic 3 year old whine message.  AHHHHH.  This continued from the moment I announced departure, through the loading of the children, seat belt attachment and takeoff.  I finally threatened a spanking if it didn't cease, and after threatening literally 4 more times, I had to pull over and follow through.  (I really don't like to spank them, but I'll tell you about that another time.) 

Well, we are home now, and all is quite.
Good night.

Speak Rationally
"My dear sweet daughter", I'll say all the while
I grit my teeth behind my smile.
"Why, oh why do you whine this way?"
But that's not all I want to say.
If I could scream and throw a fit
I'd show you why I hate this shit.
Your fits are exhausting,obnoxious and crude.
Our quiet ride home has just been screwed.
With all the strength that's left in me
I try my best to speak rationally,
"My sweet, sweet girl, I know you're tired
so to your bed you'll soon retire."

1 comment: