Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sick Day

I have sick kids in the house. It seems to go in rounds, one week runny noses and the next a fever and cough. I used to get so worried when Big Brother would get sick, but now it's not so intimidating. Now I worry more about getting others sick.


In most worlds that wouldn't be a big deal. But in mine, it means seclusion. My husband is not home as much as the "normal" working parent would be. With the exception of phone conversations with my husband, there are many times when a week goes by without seeing or conversing with another adult. There are the occasional conversations with a mom when I am picking up from school, but for the most part, there aren't many grownup conversations happening. Now I know a lot of people would ask why I don't join a Mom's group or something like that. I guess it boils down to commitment. I think about all the things that I have to get accomplished, and I just don't want to commit to anything else. I don't feel I suffer too much. Maybe I am just used to it, it's been like this for almost eight years.



Sick Day

Cough, hack, sneeze, and spray
you caught another cold today.
Come here my sweet, you're burning up,
well that's OK just don't throw up.
I'll kiss your head and hold you tight,
but that's not the place for your nose to wipe.

1 comment:

  1. The poem made me laugh. Sick Day made me empathize. However, you've kept your sanity far longer than I ever did, daughter!

    ReplyDelete